Saturday 28 March 2009

Tokyo: Tsukiji Fish Market 築地市場

Do you ever wonder how many tuna are consumed by Japanese per day? How many tuna are being auction in Tsukiji fish market? 50-70 maybe, that was my guess. But I was surprised to see a sea of tuna’s carcass lying on the floor of the auction house waiting for the bidders. The numbers are much more than I had expected, that the question of tuna extinction pop up in my head. Sushi and sashimi are my favorite Japanese cuisine, maybe I will have to think twice before paying another visit to sushi shop next time.

Anyway, put aside the overfishing issue. Here are some highlights of that day.

The auction starts around 5.30 in the morning and finishes in an hour time, so you need to travel really early if you don’t want to miss it. Tones of frozen tuna is unloading to the auction house for inspection. The bidders will inspect the fish by checking the flesh before they decide which fish to bid for.

Time for auction!! The wholesalers and bidders interaction are fast and I can’t even figure out which fish was being auction and which bidder got the fish. Here is the You Tube’s link to see them in action.

After the auction, the purchased fish is either loaded onto trucks to be shipped, or on small cart and moved to shops inside the market.

The fish was being cut for retail.

There are some others photos that I like to share with you all, but instead of scrolling down the page, I collect all of them into a slideshow for more pleasure viewing. Enjoy!

Last, my breakfast at the fishmarket before I heading back. Yummy !!

1 comment:


copyright © 2008 by Bihong